Employment contract for an indefinite period / for rapid recruitment
As "artistic coordinator Dance" you are part of the artistic team of Concertgebouw Brugge and report directly to the artistic director of the Concertgebouw.
In the city of Bruges, there is an intensive collaboration within the field of contemporary dance, between Concertgebouw Brugge, Cultuurcentrum Brugge and KAAP: Dance in Bruges. Within this framework, the Concertgebouw's artistic coordinator dance is also a member of the programming team at Cultuurcentrum Brugge and is chairing the programming workgroup of “Dans in Brugge”. The artistic coordinator for dance does not only programme in the Concertgebouw, but also in the various locations of Cultuurcentrum Brugge, and for this purpose periodically reports to the management of Cultuurcentrum Brugge.
As "artistic coordinator Dance", you are responsible for a balanced and strong regular dance programming, various trajectories with artists (including 'makers' and artists in residence) and two uniquely profiled festivals, ‘December Dance’ and ‘Bits of dance’. You will develop an inclusive dance policy, taking into account the five artistic functions of the arts field: development, production, presentation, participation and reflection. As coordinator of "Dance in Bruges", you ensure good cooperation between the various partners. You will manage the programming, make optimal use of the assets of the partners, coordinate the realisation of the dance projects by the teams in Concertgebouw and Cultuurcentrum Brugge, and fuel the participation projects on dance and the communication of the dance programme. With a balanced programme, you aim to build a sustainable audience for dance in Bruges, with an eye to rejuvenating and broadening the audience. From a dynamic local context, you focus on the Flemish and international context, always with a sense of cooperation and engagement.
- You have a good knowledge of, and strong commitment to, the performing arts in Belgium and beyond, and contemporary dance in particular.
- You have at least 3 years' experience in a similar position as well as a solid network in the performing arts.
- You are a bridge builder, a connecting networker who sets up partnerships with people and organisations in and from the Bruges cultural field.- You are creative and you think out of the box about dance forms and traditions
- You embrace the diversity in our society and you fit it into in the artistic programme and the intended audience for dance
- You have a talent for organising events and you work proactively and in a solution-focused way
- You are communicative, enthusiastic, contactable, empathetic and have a positive attitude
- You can work independently, but you are also a team player
- You are multilingual (fluent knowledge of English and Dutch recommended)
- You have a fluent pen and feel at home on social media
- You are prepared to work flexible hours, evenings and weekends
- You are prepared to travel (prospecting)
- Putting together the dance programme as stipulated in the Concertgebouw-Cultuurcentrum Brugge cooperation agreement "Dans in Brugge"' with respect for the mission and programming vision of the partners:
o Developing the content of, and coordinating the (contemporary) dance programme for Concertgebouw Brugge. Paying particular attention to live music, diversity (large-scale productions vs. niches, cultural diversity, established vs. young talent), artist in residence Rosas, Maker's trajectories, audience development and participation.
o Development and coordination of the dance programme of Cultuurcentrum Brugge: presentation of a balanced (inter)national programme for large and small venues. Both young and experimental work and established names have their place. On the other hand, there is attention for educational support and participation of the local arts field.
- Practical follow-up of the dance programme:
o Negotiations with artists in line with fair practices
o Drawing up and following up of planning, project budgets and preparation of contracts with the help of software developed for this purpose.
o Close consultation with colleagues from production, technique, administration and contracting and communication
- Prospecting on a regular basis at home and abroad.
- Chairing the programming workgroup for Dans in Brugge and feeding and inspiring the workgroup on communication.
- Continuation of, and starting up new, networks and collaborations with various (inter)national organisations
- Looking for opportunities for extra project funding and preparing subsidy applications.
- Provide input (interpretation, content about the programme) to the communication teams of both organisations in function of audience acquisition and audience development, and to the participation-team in function of potential participation projects that appeal to a broad audience.
- A full-time contract of indefinite duration
- A staff position in a dynamic, flexible, diverse and cultural environment with fine colleagues in a Flemish art institution, set in a world heritage city in transition that has a rich tradition in contemporary dance, and that wants to further profile itself within that field
- An open working atmosphere with room for initiative
- A remuneration in accordance with barema PC 304 supplemented with extra-legal benefits
- Thorough internal training and opportunities for external trainings
- Extensive possibilities for prospecting at home and abroad
We encourage everyone to apply. Diversity within the team is seen as an added value.
Concertgebouw Brugge is a non-profit organization. Concertgebouw Brugge wants to be a reputable global player in the fields of music and contemporary dance. With its wide range of interdisciplinary activities and the permanent opening up of its building, the Concertgebouw is also a center for visual art, sound art, literature and architecture. By focusing on creation, creativity and interaction with artists, at every stage of their career, the Concertgebouw wants to give the arts innovative stimuli, and to attract and involve a diverse audience and guide them on a path of discovery. In this way, Concertgebouw Brugge also enhances the international reputation of the city of Bruges and of Flanders.As a cultural entrepreneur, the Concertgebouw also translates its role as an open house to third parties, making its infrastructure and expertise available for congresses, corporate events and cultural guest productions.
Cultuurcentrum Brugge presents around 200 performances per season at five venues, the most important of which is the Koninklijke Stadsschouwburg. The programme offers a sample of the national and international arts from virtually all disciplines. Cultuurcentrum Brugge has an extensive offer for schools and wants to encourage creativity in the city through the Brugotta projects. Besides presenting arts, the Cultuurcentrum Brugge also pays specific attention to participation and community building. Together with the Concertgebouw and Kaap, it is a partner in Dans in Brugge.
How to apply? Click here and send us your motivation and CV before 24/05/2022.